What is Aromatherapy? By using the therapeutic qualities of essential oils to enhance physical and emotional health, we can promote the healing of the body, mind and spirit.
When we touch or rub an injury, or hug a loved one, it is an instinctive reaction. The importance of touch in physical and mental health is widely proven. Due to the constraints of our busy working environment and the increase in technology, touch in the modern world is decreasing, so people are turning to massage as an advanced form of the instinct to touch and heal.
Aromatherapy Swedish Massage
One of the most effective uses of essential oils is in aromatherapy massage. You will already be familiar with names of some essential oils, such as lemon, sandalwood and lavender, but other less familiar oils like bergamot, vetiver, patchouli and many others also have a place in aromatherapy. Used in a carrier such as sweet almond oil the massage develops the therapeutic effect of the combined oils, which act not only on the body systems but also on the nervous system, affecting the emotions and the psyche.
During an aromatherapy massage, various hands-on techniques are used by the therapist for your physical and psychological benefit which may include: –
- Improved circulation to muscles, possibly reducing inflammation and pain
- Deep relaxation, relieving mental and physical fatigue
- Improvement of mobility and promotion of correct posture
- Release of chronic back and shoulder tension, and backache
- Improved digestion and the relief of constipation
- Stimulation and drainage of the lymphatic system flushing out toxins and waste
- Encouragement of deep sleep through the reduction of insomnia
- Triggering brain chemicals that can reduce pain and induce a sense of well-being.
Aromatherapy can benefit almost everyone, and it has been found to be particularly effective in helping stress-related disorders. A course of treatments can result in increased vitality and energy levels and an enhanced feeling of well-being.
Consultation and treatment
Your first appointment begins with a consultation to enable a full assessment of your needs. This will enable me to plan an individual course of treatment which will be carried out in complete privacy, where all personal details remain completely confidential.
Oils can also be used in lotions, creams, compresses, baths and inhalations. Individually selected and hand blended products are available from Renaissance for use at home. Please ask for details.
Please see the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists for more information.