Hot Stone Aromatherapy Massage, a wonderfully warming and relaxing experience.
What could be nicer than the feel of smooth hot stones massaging away the cold, stress, tension, tiredness, aches and pains?
Hot Stone Aromatherapy Massage is a truly relaxing treatment using hot stones of varying sizes on parts of the body – from the forehead to between the toes – giving a deep massage and creating a sensation of warmth and comfort.
The heat from the stones feels great and is also wholly therapeutic – helping detox the body and relaxing the nervous system. The stones used are smooth, volcanic basalt that retain their heat on the body for as long as possible.
Smooth cool crystals can then used after the heat of the hot stones to stimulate the body leaving you feeling completely refreshed and invigorated.
What happens during a treatment?
Before your treatment I will carry out a full and confidential consultation and assessment of your needs. As an experienced Aromatherapist I will also make up a blend of oils especially for you according to your likes and requirements for use with the hot stones.
The oil will be applied over the body and initially I will use my hands to transfer the heat from the stones and start the massage. The stones themselves will then be used to provide a deep and comforting massage. They may also be placed along the spine and various other parts of the body during the course of the massage.
Cool crystals may also be used – mainly on the back and legs – to refresh the body after the heat. These stones are actually at room temperature; they just feel cool in contrast to the hot stones.
What are the benefits of Hot and Cold Stone Massage?
The benefits of hot stone massage include: –
- Deep relaxation, the warmth relaxes both physically and mentally
- The heat from the stones is transferred to the body by conduction and it may reach up to 3cm into the muscle
- Stress is reduced, relieving mental and physical fatigue
- Circulation is improved and muscles have an increased blood supply, improving function
- Toxins and waste are eliminated more quickly
- The warmth can relieve pain in muscles and joints
- Tension in connective tissue is decreased
- There is a deep comfort of receiving warmth on the body.
The benefits of cold/cool stone massage: –
- Refreshes and stimulates the mind
- Helps to relieve tissue congestion (such as the sinuses)
- Soothes irritation
- Cools down the body on a warm day or during hot flushes.
Alternating the hot and cool stones helps every cell in the body to receive more oxygen and nutrients and encourages a more effective removal of toxins.
The use of my hands in conjunction with the stones also helps produce a more intensive experience.
Hot stone massage enables the client to receive the combined energies from the stones, oils, crystals and Reiki in addition to the benefits already listed.
Does it hurt? Are there any side effects?
I handle the stones myself before putting them on your body so I will check they are at the right temperature. If they do feel too hot at any time, then the temperature can be reduced.